Story #2:
Hellew! I'm back again with another story; this story is one of the first story under the
Hellew! I'm back again with another story; this story is one of the first story under the
episodic stories" category, that I'll be introducing in this blog space. Which means, I'll also have other stories with an entirely different set of characters later on, which might have a few "episodes" before the whole story will be completed. HEEHEE.
Anyways,
I hope the way this story is written won't confuse the readers. I switch between the usual narrator's story-telling method and also at times changing to first-person narratives of different characters. Nyeh~ I can't explain that any better, I'm sure you'll learn quick! XD It's simple :)
================================
A young man in his early twenties steps out of a convenience store and takes a cigarette from the pack he just purchased. For a moment, he stood there, leaning against the brick wall of the store, clad in his dark denim jeans with his tucked out dress shirt, sleeves rolled up; he looked like million dollars with his crisp white striped shirt and his expensive charcoal gray loafers. He shuffles his feet a little, easing himself into a comfier position as he leaned against the wall-- suddenly he takes out a phone from his back pocket and puts it slowly to his ear.
Just around the corner, a girl in her late teens, peeks over at the young man from afar. She bites her lip contemplatively, she had hoped he would walk away just as soon as he got out of the convenience store, but instead when she saw that he was just standing there, inconveniently getting in the way of the path she would like to take -- she was thankful of the slight delay earlier on. She took in a breath of fresh air to calm herself, but almost coughed aloud from inhaling the smoke that came from his cigarette bud, but she stopped herself short, hands flying onto her mouth as she clamped it shut to muffle the sound, she did not want Dean to know she was there. Oh what the hell Kamilla, just pass by and say hello if he sees you, she thought to herself.
She saw movement from where he stood from the corner of her eye, she took a quick peek and saw that he was taking out his phone. She hesitantly took a step forward-- glad that he was a little distracted enough to not pay attention to her is she were to pass by, but then she saw him talking happily on the phone, she stopped mid-step and felt her heart ache for a split second. Even if it was just a momentary fraction of time, the ache that stabbed her heart was painstaking. It must be that girl again, she thought with furrowed eyebrows, she turned around to cross the road, so she decided to leave and head the other way instead. The minute she turned and walked a few steps away from him, the guy slowly put the phone away from his ear and looked at her back walking away from him.
I looked down on my phone; the screen was blank. Yeah, wow I just faked a phone call. I was confused as to why I did that; I was either being stupid or just... stupid. No other explanation for it. Almost immediately after, I was beginning to regretting acting the way I did; somehow whenever she's around, I seem to do things that would make her want to avoid me or I try not to notice she's there even when I fully know that she is. Not sure when I began acting in such a way, it was not always like this, but the more I got to know her, the more I find myself acting strangely. So as I watched her heading the opposite direction from where I stood; I was more regretful than relieved. I looked at her leaving form, her shoulders slightly drooped and her step lacked the spring it used to have. That somehow made my stomach churn a little...
Kamilla was a few years younger than I was, she was tall as she was fair; her skin was that of a glowing ivory. I met her a few months back when she waited tables at the restaurant that her father owns during her school break. At first I frequent the place because of the good food, but after a while, I kept on going there because it seemed like she was attracted to me and I found that really flattering; she would greet me with a smile and whenever the place was not packed she would exchange small talk with me if an opportunity to do so presented itself. It was great to just be at the receiving end of her smiles-- much like an instant boost of confidence.
I look down at the cigarette neatly tucked between my index finger and middle finger - the wispy smoke slowly mixing into the air, I pressed the tip of it against the brick wall and threw it carelessly into the bin nearby. Shaking my head, I thought nothing of it and made my way to the car park.
He gets into a car, revs the engine and drives out to a cafe just down the road. Dean took a quick glance at his Breitling watch and scanned the coffee place, finally he locks his gaze onto a stunning beauty. As if sensing his presence the girl looked up at him, her face beaming up at the sight of him, she stood up and walked hurriedly into his arms. He grins as he hugged her back, and inwardly smiling to himself at the pleasant familiarity of her petite frame against his body.
She grabbed his right arm in her delicate hands and gave it a slight squeeze, "You seem to be losing weight from the last time we've met." she commented showing signs of concern through her cocked eyebrow.
"I guess I've just been too busy with things to care about how I look Kara." he retorted laughingly.
She smiled flirtatiously and said, "you can never look awful even if you tried." turning around she pulled his hand, they made their way to the seat she vacated a few moments ago.
Time passed by so fast, but toward the end of it, he could not shake off the feeling that his heart feels somewhat unsettled, he kept looking over his shoulder half expecting something to happen. Kara couldn't help but notice that he was getting slightly distracted as well which made her a little uneasy: Dean always paid full attention to whoever he was with, because that was the kind of gentleman he was-- more so towards girls; especially if that girl was her. She slowly reached out her hand to his fingers placed on the side of the iced latte he ordered.
The touch of her skin against his reverted his attention back to Kara, "I've really missed you." she told him, as she smiled into his eyes.
"I missed you too" he said almost out of habit but he knew he meant it. "how's this place for you?"
A bit taken aback by his changing the atmosphere with a casual question, she pulled her hand away and leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs, "It's certainly different from Korea." she began.
"night life?" he chuckled knowingly.
She joined in on the humor "yeah, pretty much." glad that the atmosphere was lightening up again, "but I'm giving it a chance, it's your birthplace after all."
His heart gave a small leap at that comment. She actually cares now, finally...
Meanwhile, Kamilla was fiddling with her phone, hanging around the steps of the Mall's theatre. Looking through his messages and all the while telling herself, she cannot keep any of this. It wasn't right for her to feel this way; to feel anything. A distraction, that's what I was-- a form of cheap entertainment; clearly just for his little gameplay of amusement. I should shave his stupid eyebrows and glue them back as a moustache. Fuxking minx for making me feel like this. That guy is worst than a chick.
She got lost in her thoughts after quietly mouthing him off in her head, all because he's making her feel like a young teeny bopper who was naive about love; at nineteen she really shouldn't feel like this anymore.... or so she thought. After a while she began staring into space, quietly listening to the slow breaths she was taking in.
Her phone vibrated in her hands; her first thought was of Dean. She winced in disgust at herself for thinking it. She looked at the caller ID; "Sammy D:" instead of a "Dean :D" , disappointed she answered the call.
"Hey..." she answered in a flat, lifeless tone.
"Ahh, hey? You alright? Did I wake you?" came a guy's questioning voice form the other end.
"oh yea yea" she continued in her flat tone, when realising that could have been the reason for the question, she forced herself to perk up, "yes! I'm fine."
"So I got a preposition; the guys ditched me, so do you wanna hang out with me?" He answered back, ignoring the forced cheerfulness in her voice.
She sighed, "Ahh of course I'm the designated-last-resort-friend who everyone overlooks until they're bored or alone and have no one else to play with~" crap, that sounded mean. Knowing full well she needs to lighten up her mood from what she saw earlier, she shook her head and lightly hit the side of her head.
"HEEEY NOO, that's not it." he said apologetically, realising what he said was a tad offensive, "I just thought I should waste my time first before I have something better to do." that sounds even worst, apakan aku ani... let's hope she doesn't notice. He waits for her response.
For a good 3 seconds she kept quiet, thinking he'd apologise for saying that one as well, "ehh anak ani." she said teasingly, "GOD, it's fine, you have a foot in your mouth most of the time anyway. Just stop talking."
He laughed sheepishly "bah, so how?"
"I have to meet up with si Nadia for coffee. Sorry dude."
"who's Nadia? She cute?" He said a little too excitedly, "ikut, can?"
"You wanna come kah? Hahaha oh gosh fine, I'll ask if she minds. Text you in ten minutes if it's a no go or not."
Sammy was always like that, always asking me if I know any cute-pretty girls or if I was willing to match-make him with any of my friends. Truth be told, he is actually the brother of one of my ex boyfriends' best friend. He was always with them, well most of the time-- so I sort of knew who he was from the times that I politely acknowledged his presence if we were hanging out in a big group.
Our relationship was weird; we seemed like we were close but we weren't really; at least not how I would describe being 'close' to someone. So how did we come about being friends? It just happened~ basically we got stuck as being classmates when we enrolled in the same college. Brunei being Brunei, it wasn't really a surprise to not eventually be close to people that you had known of for a long time but never quite talk to. After a while, it happens.
That's just how Brunei is, everyone seems to be related to everyone else, by whatever describable tie, bond or relation there is out there. One day in class, we recognized each other because of that vague relationship tie we had-- him being the brother of my ex boyfriend's best friend. But then again, maybe the reason why I had remembered him was because he's the only person I know who has natural (ash-dirty) blonde hair, despite his features looking somewhat malay; normal-set eyes, not too sharp of a nose and a kind of beige tone to his skin. His mom was full on Dutch and his dad was full on Malay. So yes, that's Sammy. At the beginning of our college years, we exchanged pleasantries then we repeatedly talked to one another casually and somehow throughout those years he began joking with me a lot and voila, friends!
"Hello there!" he said charmingly as he stretched out his hand to Nadia.
"Hi" she said smiling back at him.
"You look nice," he said flattering her, which made Nadia laugh, then she looked at me with a knowing smile, "hope you don't mind I'm here."
Behind her, I walked beside Sam and nudged his ribs a little, "Take it easy Sammy, she has a boyfriend." I whispered when we all took our seats in the coffee shop.
With that statement, his face looked disappointed and showed me his WTF-face.
Kamilla retorted with her own WTF face and said defensively "What? I never said she was single." she whispered harshly under her breath.
Two mochas and one glass of water later, I looked at the time on my phone: 4:44PM. Seeing those numbers would always give me this foreboding feeling, it wasn't in our culture to believe in that kind of superstition but I guess I picked up one or two superstitious beliefs from the countries I went to, since I grew up in a multi-cultural environment, due to my dad's work that required him to move around a lot.
I looked up from the time and saw that the two of them were already quite comfortable with each other. Sammy was always an easy person to get along with, Nadia on the other hand is pretty much nice to everyone that I know. So I guess it explains their instant chemistry.
"Do you guys mind if Malique joins us? He just woke up hehehe totally jet lagged from his trip." she smiled sweetly after what seemed like she was reading a text from Malique from her phone.
"oh! I haven't met him in a long time! When did he come back?" I said excitedly, at the notion of meeting her boyfriend of almost a year.
"He flew in last night."she said giddily, matching my enthusiasm "we were supposed to meet later tonight, but I guess he feels bored cooped up at home after sleeping the whole day."
I hope the way this story is written won't confuse the readers. I switch between the usual narrator's story-telling method and also at times changing to first-person narratives of different characters. Nyeh~ I can't explain that any better, I'm sure you'll learn quick! XD It's simple :)
================================
PART I - "Defining Moments"
================================
A young man in his early twenties steps out of a convenience store and takes a cigarette from the pack he just purchased. For a moment, he stood there, leaning against the brick wall of the store, clad in his dark denim jeans with his tucked out dress shirt, sleeves rolled up; he looked like million dollars with his crisp white striped shirt and his expensive charcoal gray loafers. He shuffles his feet a little, easing himself into a comfier position as he leaned against the wall-- suddenly he takes out a phone from his back pocket and puts it slowly to his ear.
Just around the corner, a girl in her late teens, peeks over at the young man from afar. She bites her lip contemplatively, she had hoped he would walk away just as soon as he got out of the convenience store, but instead when she saw that he was just standing there, inconveniently getting in the way of the path she would like to take -- she was thankful of the slight delay earlier on. She took in a breath of fresh air to calm herself, but almost coughed aloud from inhaling the smoke that came from his cigarette bud, but she stopped herself short, hands flying onto her mouth as she clamped it shut to muffle the sound, she did not want Dean to know she was there. Oh what the hell Kamilla, just pass by and say hello if he sees you, she thought to herself.
She saw movement from where he stood from the corner of her eye, she took a quick peek and saw that he was taking out his phone. She hesitantly took a step forward-- glad that he was a little distracted enough to not pay attention to her is she were to pass by, but then she saw him talking happily on the phone, she stopped mid-step and felt her heart ache for a split second. Even if it was just a momentary fraction of time, the ache that stabbed her heart was painstaking. It must be that girl again, she thought with furrowed eyebrows, she turned around to cross the road, so she decided to leave and head the other way instead. The minute she turned and walked a few steps away from him, the guy slowly put the phone away from his ear and looked at her back walking away from him.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
I looked down on my phone; the screen was blank. Yeah, wow I just faked a phone call. I was confused as to why I did that; I was either being stupid or just... stupid. No other explanation for it. Almost immediately after, I was beginning to regretting acting the way I did; somehow whenever she's around, I seem to do things that would make her want to avoid me or I try not to notice she's there even when I fully know that she is. Not sure when I began acting in such a way, it was not always like this, but the more I got to know her, the more I find myself acting strangely. So as I watched her heading the opposite direction from where I stood; I was more regretful than relieved. I looked at her leaving form, her shoulders slightly drooped and her step lacked the spring it used to have. That somehow made my stomach churn a little...
Kamilla was a few years younger than I was, she was tall as she was fair; her skin was that of a glowing ivory. I met her a few months back when she waited tables at the restaurant that her father owns during her school break. At first I frequent the place because of the good food, but after a while, I kept on going there because it seemed like she was attracted to me and I found that really flattering; she would greet me with a smile and whenever the place was not packed she would exchange small talk with me if an opportunity to do so presented itself. It was great to just be at the receiving end of her smiles-- much like an instant boost of confidence.
I look down at the cigarette neatly tucked between my index finger and middle finger - the wispy smoke slowly mixing into the air, I pressed the tip of it against the brick wall and threw it carelessly into the bin nearby. Shaking my head, I thought nothing of it and made my way to the car park.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
He gets into a car, revs the engine and drives out to a cafe just down the road. Dean took a quick glance at his Breitling watch and scanned the coffee place, finally he locks his gaze onto a stunning beauty. As if sensing his presence the girl looked up at him, her face beaming up at the sight of him, she stood up and walked hurriedly into his arms. He grins as he hugged her back, and inwardly smiling to himself at the pleasant familiarity of her petite frame against his body.
She grabbed his right arm in her delicate hands and gave it a slight squeeze, "You seem to be losing weight from the last time we've met." she commented showing signs of concern through her cocked eyebrow.
"I guess I've just been too busy with things to care about how I look Kara." he retorted laughingly.
She smiled flirtatiously and said, "you can never look awful even if you tried." turning around she pulled his hand, they made their way to the seat she vacated a few moments ago.
Time passed by so fast, but toward the end of it, he could not shake off the feeling that his heart feels somewhat unsettled, he kept looking over his shoulder half expecting something to happen. Kara couldn't help but notice that he was getting slightly distracted as well which made her a little uneasy: Dean always paid full attention to whoever he was with, because that was the kind of gentleman he was-- more so towards girls; especially if that girl was her. She slowly reached out her hand to his fingers placed on the side of the iced latte he ordered.
The touch of her skin against his reverted his attention back to Kara, "I've really missed you." she told him, as she smiled into his eyes.
"I missed you too" he said almost out of habit but he knew he meant it. "how's this place for you?"
A bit taken aback by his changing the atmosphere with a casual question, she pulled her hand away and leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs, "It's certainly different from Korea." she began.
"night life?" he chuckled knowingly.
She joined in on the humor "yeah, pretty much." glad that the atmosphere was lightening up again, "but I'm giving it a chance, it's your birthplace after all."
His heart gave a small leap at that comment. She actually cares now, finally...
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Meanwhile, Kamilla was fiddling with her phone, hanging around the steps of the Mall's theatre. Looking through his messages and all the while telling herself, she cannot keep any of this. It wasn't right for her to feel this way; to feel anything. A distraction, that's what I was-- a form of cheap entertainment; clearly just for his little gameplay of amusement. I should shave his stupid eyebrows and glue them back as a moustache. Fuxking minx for making me feel like this. That guy is worst than a chick.
She got lost in her thoughts after quietly mouthing him off in her head, all because he's making her feel like a young teeny bopper who was naive about love; at nineteen she really shouldn't feel like this anymore.... or so she thought. After a while she began staring into space, quietly listening to the slow breaths she was taking in.
Her phone vibrated in her hands; her first thought was of Dean. She winced in disgust at herself for thinking it. She looked at the caller ID; "Sammy D:" instead of a "Dean :D" , disappointed she answered the call.
"Hey..." she answered in a flat, lifeless tone.
"Ahh, hey? You alright? Did I wake you?" came a guy's questioning voice form the other end.
"oh yea yea" she continued in her flat tone, when realising that could have been the reason for the question, she forced herself to perk up, "yes! I'm fine."
"So I got a preposition; the guys ditched me, so do you wanna hang out with me?" He answered back, ignoring the forced cheerfulness in her voice.
She sighed, "Ahh of course I'm the designated-last-resort-friend who everyone overlooks until they're bored or alone and have no one else to play with~" crap, that sounded mean. Knowing full well she needs to lighten up her mood from what she saw earlier, she shook her head and lightly hit the side of her head.
"HEEEY NOO, that's not it." he said apologetically, realising what he said was a tad offensive, "I just thought I should waste my time first before I have something better to do." that sounds even worst, apakan aku ani... let's hope she doesn't notice. He waits for her response.
For a good 3 seconds she kept quiet, thinking he'd apologise for saying that one as well, "ehh anak ani." she said teasingly, "GOD, it's fine, you have a foot in your mouth most of the time anyway. Just stop talking."
He laughed sheepishly "bah, so how?"
"I have to meet up with si Nadia for coffee. Sorry dude."
"who's Nadia? She cute?" He said a little too excitedly, "ikut, can?"
"You wanna come kah? Hahaha oh gosh fine, I'll ask if she minds. Text you in ten minutes if it's a no go or not."
Sammy was always like that, always asking me if I know any cute-pretty girls or if I was willing to match-make him with any of my friends. Truth be told, he is actually the brother of one of my ex boyfriends' best friend. He was always with them, well most of the time-- so I sort of knew who he was from the times that I politely acknowledged his presence if we were hanging out in a big group.
Our relationship was weird; we seemed like we were close but we weren't really; at least not how I would describe being 'close' to someone. So how did we come about being friends? It just happened~ basically we got stuck as being classmates when we enrolled in the same college. Brunei being Brunei, it wasn't really a surprise to not eventually be close to people that you had known of for a long time but never quite talk to. After a while, it happens.
That's just how Brunei is, everyone seems to be related to everyone else, by whatever describable tie, bond or relation there is out there. One day in class, we recognized each other because of that vague relationship tie we had-- him being the brother of my ex boyfriend's best friend. But then again, maybe the reason why I had remembered him was because he's the only person I know who has natural (ash-dirty) blonde hair, despite his features looking somewhat malay; normal-set eyes, not too sharp of a nose and a kind of beige tone to his skin. His mom was full on Dutch and his dad was full on Malay. So yes, that's Sammy. At the beginning of our college years, we exchanged pleasantries then we repeatedly talked to one another casually and somehow throughout those years he began joking with me a lot and voila, friends!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
"Hello there!" he said charmingly as he stretched out his hand to Nadia.
"Hi" she said smiling back at him.
"You look nice," he said flattering her, which made Nadia laugh, then she looked at me with a knowing smile, "hope you don't mind I'm here."
"Not at all." Nadia responded politely and she lead the way to a table outside the cafe.
Behind her, I walked beside Sam and nudged his ribs a little, "Take it easy Sammy, she has a boyfriend." I whispered when we all took our seats in the coffee shop.
With that statement, his face looked disappointed and showed me his WTF-face.
Kamilla retorted with her own WTF face and said defensively "What? I never said she was single." she whispered harshly under her breath.
Two mochas and one glass of water later, I looked at the time on my phone: 4:44PM. Seeing those numbers would always give me this foreboding feeling, it wasn't in our culture to believe in that kind of superstition but I guess I picked up one or two superstitious beliefs from the countries I went to, since I grew up in a multi-cultural environment, due to my dad's work that required him to move around a lot.
I looked up from the time and saw that the two of them were already quite comfortable with each other. Sammy was always an easy person to get along with, Nadia on the other hand is pretty much nice to everyone that I know. So I guess it explains their instant chemistry.
"Do you guys mind if Malique joins us? He just woke up hehehe totally jet lagged from his trip." she smiled sweetly after what seemed like she was reading a text from Malique from her phone.
"oh! I haven't met him in a long time! When did he come back?" I said excitedly, at the notion of meeting her boyfriend of almost a year.
"He flew in last night."she said giddily, matching my enthusiasm "we were supposed to meet later tonight, but I guess he feels bored cooped up at home after sleeping the whole day."
"Ha! I bet he just can't wait to spend time with you." I said knowingly, letting out a small sigh, gosh, I miss getting excited at the thought of meeting your boyfriend.
While we were having this conversation between the two of us, I noticed Sammy was just slowly sipping from his ice blended caramel drink, quietly listening to us talking about Malique and the days prior to his return. So I thought of including him in on the conversation by explaining how the two lovebirds met.
He looked disinterested at first, when I offered to tell the story of how they got together, but politely agreed to listen to it anyway. "Malique was actually intended for me." I began and saw Sam's eyes lighting up with piqued and renewed interest, he leaned in closer at the mention of something potentially scandalous.
"Oh? Really?" He asked slyly, raising his eyebrows. We both laughed at his comical reaction and I continued with my story.
================================
TO BE CONTINUED...
================================
The next episode of this would be revealed in....
I guess two or three days? Until then! I bid thee adieu~ ;)
So just to make sure everyone's on the right track, this is the list of characters that have been mentioned so far:
Dean, Kamilla, Kara, Sammy, Nadia and Malique.
Please comment and/or bookmark this page if you found it even remotely interesting! Thanks.
Might have grammatical errors, nobody's perfect~! HEEHEE :D
No comments:
Post a Comment